Friday, December 5, 2008

4th Article

I chose to read an article entitled “Setting Family Standards for Entertainment” by Carla Dalton (found in the Ensign, Jun 2001, 26) and I really enjoyed her incites. I particularly enjoyed her analogies comparing a big wave getting all her stuff wet on vacation to how we often trust sandy foundations in the world, assuming we are on safe ground, only to be flooded with a deluge of evil. I plan to teach my children that when something initially shocks and offends us we should quickly eliminate such things from our lives, before they have a chance to gradually dull our spiritual sensitivities. Also, I loved her incite that “if I, as a parent, want to remain credible in the eyes of my children, I cannot justify listening to or viewing the kind of entertainment that I have asked my children not to participate in.” There are many movies that I watch right now that I wouldn’t want my children to watch and I am realizing the importance of eliminating those things from my life before I actually have children and thus avoid hypocrisy. Lastly, I can remind family and friends that when we turn the television (or a movie) we are inviting guests into our homes, and we should make sure those guests will not corrupt our families from the inside out.

1 comment:

Cami said...

That is good insight. It is so true. I need to start doing that in my home now that I have a child to be an example for. Thanks!